Temple Newsam, Leeds, West YorkshireLeeds City Council
A fine brick-built Tudor-Jacobean mansion set in 1,200 acres of parkland, Temple Newsam was home to the Ingram family from the early seventeenth century until 1922 when it was sold by Edward Wood, 1st Earl of Halifax to Leeds Corporation for a nominal sum. Its collections dispersed at the time of the sale, Temple Newsam gradually took on a new role as a fine and decorative art museum. The house is now home to one of the most important collections of decorative arts in the country.
In recent years, an extensive programme of archival research, building restoration and repatriation of historic collections has also enabled the Council to reinterpret the history of the house and its occupants.
Temple Newsam, Temple Newsam Road, Off Selby Road, Leeds LS15 0AE
Visitor Information: 0113 336 7461