Lotherton Hall, Aberford, West YorkshireLeeds City Council
A modest country house mainly Edwardian in character, but with earlier origins, Lotherton Hall was formerly the home of the Gascoigne family, a long-established Yorkshire family. Originally purchased by Richard Oliver Gascoigne in 1825 to secure an inheritance for his two daughters, the Hall and grounds were remodelled and updated in the early 20th century. The alterations incorporated many architectural features and fittings from the family’s Georgian home at nearby Parlington.
In 1968, the Hall and grounds were given by Sir Alvary Gascoigne to Leeds City Council. The house today retains the intimate atmosphere of an Edwardian family home with family paintings, Oriental art and an impressive gallery of historic costume, displayed in its fine interiors as well as a regular programme of special exhibitions.
Lotherton Hall, Off Collier Lane, Aberford, Leeds LS25 3EB
Visitor Information: 0113 281 3259
Duty Calls: Lotherton Hall in Time of War
At Lotherton Hall, the Duty Calls exhibition looked at the wide range of conflicts in which members of the Gascoigne family saw action from the American War of Independence to the Second World War. Drawing extensively on family archives and photographic collections, the exhibition also explored the direct impact of war on the Hall and its occupants, highlighting the remarkable story of the building’s use as a military hospital during the First World War, with Mrs Trench-Gascoigne herself serving as Commandant.
Dressed for Battle
In the Fashion Galleries, Dressed for Battle showed how war has influenced dress – from the effect it has had on the clothes worn by those on the home front to the designers’ love of the military look.